Originally a complex of 5 mines owned by 4 different companies, these
mines worked the Treadwell Dike (an ore vein) which extended from Douglas
island down under Gastineau Channel. Due to unsafe mining practices (raiding
rock support pillars for ore) three of the mines collapsed and flooded
in 1917, effectively shutting down operations there. More info on the history
of these mines can be found here.
Also historical photos of the area can be seen here.
New Photos from 2004:
Building ruins are everywhere, the first few photos show one of the
more intact structures, and the middle one shows a more decayed one. The
last three show some beach ruins: rotten pilings from an old dock, and
rusty melted metal scrap.
Abandoned buildings at Treadwell.
More abandoned buildings and machinery.