Built by the St. Paul Gas and Light Company in 1921, Island Station was obsolete from the start due to changes in coal boiler technology. It operated at 3/4 capacity until 1943, and was then sold to the Northern State's Power company. NSP operated the plant until 1975 at partial power. In the mid 80s the plant building was sold to a private developer who rented out artist space, and in 2003 the property was sold again to a condo developer. This development plan fell through due to poor drainage of the property (the basement frequently flood), and a lack of proper building permits. The building was reposessed by the local government and is again on the market, at a much higher price despite its poor condition and low suitability for re-use.
Much of the central power plant area has been gutted, leaving vast open spaces spiderwebbed with girders and catwalks.
The rooftop is the 2nd most photogenic area, offering great views of downtown St. Paul, the Missisipi river, and nearby abandonments like the Schmidt Brewery.
Some other interior views, including flooded basements, artistic shots, and other junk.
Looking up the main stack, and a pile of ash below.
Twin Cities Main